tagline text

Monday, March 31, 2008

YOh no

I recently started knitting the ribbed lace bolero to break up the endless 3x1 ribbing monotony of the tubey, and to stop me from wanting to scoop my eyes out with a crochet hook while making the crocheted grocery bag.

All was going well, I was easily doing the 2x2 ribbing while still managing to wiggle my foot and mouth along to Alexisonfire's Crisis at the same time with nary an error. I then reached the lace rows and saw no reason to think I was about to screw the whole thing up. I did, for a brief moment, think to myself that I should thread through a lifeline. But I didn't. The fact that I didn't want to should have been an indication that I should have. *sigh*

Turns out that the YOs in the pattern are simply, well, yarning over. No knit stitch involved. (Of course, I didn't know that then. )Crap. So, I got to the end of row 1 and nothing seemed amiss. The stitches all made sense, and I had nothing left over. Then I did row 2.

This is the point where I realized something was terribly wrong. So wrong, in fact, that I turned my iPod off in the middle of Rough Hands. Mid-song, people. I never, ever, turn my iPod off mid-song, because I consider that to be sacrilege. And I especially wouldn't even consider turning it off in the middle of one of the Best Songs Ever.

I sat there, with about 5 stitches left to be worked, realizing that the number of stitches I was supposed to work didn't equal what was left. At all. I looked at the pattern and then back at the knitting. I may have let out an involuntary whine.

Now I have to rip back and start the lace part over. I also have to go and repent now for having stopped mid-song. I feel dirty.

2 comments:

Shan said...

heh...I don't like stopping mid-song either. I feel very entitled about it.

Tubey - I like but haven't got the gumption (or the yarn) to knit it. I think I would look like Jayne Mansfield gone to seed.

jen said...

Ha... I won't have that problem at all. I'm thinking I'm going to resemble a chihuhua in a dog sweater.